- 🎥 Video Tour: Navigating the Butter dashboard
- What is a Butter workspace?
- Navigating your workspace
- 1. Home
- 2. Rooms
- 3. Templates
- 4. Recaps
- 5. Settings
- Creating a workspace
- Joining a workspace
- Switching between workspaces
- Understanding free vs. paid workspaces
- Managing workspace roles
- Workspace FAQ
- How many members can I have in my workspace?
- How can I manage my workspace’s members and roles? How do I add or remove team members from my workspace?
- How many workspaces can I create/join?
- Do session participants/co-facilitators have to be members of my workspace?
- Do room collaborators have to be members of my workspace?
- Can I brand my workspace with my own logo?
- How do I delete a workspace?
🎥 Video Tour: Navigating the Butter dashboard
Here’s a 2-minute tour of everything that’s in a workspace!
What is a Butter workspace?
Everything you do in Butter is tied to a workspace. In a workspace, you’ll find your rooms, a shared library of agendas and tools, session recaps, and your team members.
Here’s what you can do in a workspace:
- See & plan what’s next: Your workspace has a Home tab with an overview of upcoming sessions, recent rooms, recaps, and more. You can also plan your upcoming sessions and schedule it directly from Butter!
- Plan sessions together: Collaborate on room setup with other members of your workspace.
- See & share templates: View our curated public library of templates you can use to create your Butter sessions. Create a team library of agenda templates and tools to save on setup time.
- Manage your team: Invite workspace members and assign workspace- and room-level roles
- Manage your billing: Manage workspace permissions, plans, and billing from one account.
Navigating your workspace
Home gives you a personal at-a-glance view of your upcoming sessions, recently used rooms, latest recaps, and new templates added to your team library.
In Rooms, you will find all of the rooms that you have created. Additionally, you’ll find rooms where you have been invited to collaborate.
Rooms are where you plan and run your sessions in Butter. Check out
Templates is split up into two sections.
- The Public Template Gallery: This is where you can explore hundreds of ready-made Butter templates created by many amazing Butter people!
- Workspace library: Here, you’ll find both your personal templates as well as all the templates that have been shared by your team members! You can save anything from agendas and agenda blocks to flashcard decks, poll questions, playlists, presentations, videos and more.
Recaps is where all of the outcomes and data from your sessions is stored. Recaps from a session includes your recordings, notes (both shared and private), poll results, attendance lists, and more for every session.
Your workspace Settings are where you manage your workspace, your team, and your personal settings within the workspace.
Creating a workspace
There are two ways to create a workspace in Butter.
- When you first sign up: If you weren’t invited to a team workspace, you’ll be prompted to create your own workspace when you first sign up to Butter.
- From your Butter dashboard: You can create a new workspace by selecting the workspace dropdown from the dashboard navigation and then selecting “Add new workspace.” From there, just follow the prompts!
Joining a workspace
To join an existing workspace, you’ll need to be invited by an existing member. Any workspace member can invite you to their workspace.
Switching between workspaces
To switch between workspaces, select the workspace dropdown in the top-left corner of your workspace navigation.
Then, just pick the workspace you want to switch to!
Understanding free vs. paid workspaces
In Butter, you have the option to have a free or paid workspace.
All members in your workspace will be on the same plan. Free workspaces can have up to 5 members on free plans, while paid workspaces can have unlimited members.
Here’s a quick rundown of the available workspace plans in Butter:
Price (per member)
$0 / member
$19/member billed monthly or $171/member billed yearly (save $57/member/year)
$39/member billed monthly or $351/member billed yearly (save $117/member/year)
Max. members in workspace
Max. participants in a session
Up to 40 minutes
Recording hours per workspace (resets monthly)
Pay-as-you-go recording availability
Yes. $3/hr per recording hour started.
No need, your recording’s already unlimited!
Room collaborators & Co-facilitators (in session)
Yes (annual billing only)
Workspace role management
For more details on the different plan options, head to
Managing workspace roles
Workspaces are made for teams to plan and run incredibly engaging sessions together! To access your workspace members, navigate to Settings > Workspace.
In a Butter team workspace, there are three different member roles:
- Owner: The creator of the workspace and the only person who can delete the workspace.
- Admin: Can manage workspace settings, members, and the templates library.
- Member: These are members have full access to the workspace’s rooms and library, but can’t manage workspace settings (including member roles). They can create unlimited rooms, run sessions, and start sessions from any shared rooms they’ve been added to as collaborators.
How many members can I have in my workspace?
On the Free workspace, you can have up to 5 Free members.
On the Paid workspace, you can have unlimited paid members (including admins and the owner).
How can I manage my workspace’s members and roles? How do I add or remove team members from my workspace?
How many workspaces can I create/join?
There’s no limit! We would suggest to create or join a workspace for every team you regularly collaborate with in Butter.
Do session participants/co-facilitators have to be members of my workspace?
No! Anyone can join a Butter session. Participants do not count towards your workspace member limits (only your session participant limit).
Do room collaborators have to be members of my workspace?
Can I brand my workspace with my own logo?
Only on paid workspaces 😊 Owners and admins can edit your workspace’s branding from the
How do I delete a workspace?
We’re working on implementing this feature. In the meantime, contact us at email@example.com if you need your workspace deleted.