- Pricing Table
- Butter Plans
- Butter Basic (Free)
- Butter Business (Paid)
- How pricing is calculated
- Basic vs. Pro members
- Basic Members
- Pro Members
- Member add-ons
- Large Sessions add-on
- Workspace Billing and Payments
- Butter Plans & Pricing FAQ
- How is a Butter Basic workspace different from Butter Business workspace?
- What are the differences between the workspace member roles?
- What happens when a Basic member hits their limits?
- How do I upgrade my workspace to Butter Business?
- How do I manage the members and add-ons on my Butter Business plan?
- How can I see how many Pro members are in my workspace?
- Do session participant limits include facilitators?
- What happens if I pass the 100-participant limit during a live session?
- Do you give discounts to education or non-profit organizations?
- I’m interested in getting my whole team on Butter! Do you give bulk discounts for large teams?
- Do you offer a free trial of Butter Business?
- How do I cancel my Butter Business plan?
Here’s a quick rundown of pricing in Butter. All pricing is per Pro member. Keep reading below for a complete breakdown of how pricing works for each plan.
Butter Basic (free)
Butter Business (paid)
Add-on: Large Sessions
$30 (monthly) $300 (annual)
+$50 (monthly) +$500 (annual)
Participants per session
Basic workspace members
Up to 50
Up to 50
Pro workspace members
Your Butter plan and pricing are both tied to your workspace. There are two workspace tiers available: Basic and Business.
Butter Basic (Free)
Butter Basic is our free workspace tier. It’s a great way to get started with planning and running interactive sessions.
In a Basic workspace, you can:
- Add your teammates: Invite up to 50 Basic members to your workspace.
- Plan sessions together: Collaborate on setup with other members of your workspace.
- Share templates: Every Basic member can add, edit, or delete their own agendas, blocks, and tools in the workspace library.
However, Butter Basic has all the limitations of Basic members, including 60-minute group session time limits, a maximum of two rooms per member, the inability to start sessions from someone else’s room, and more.
See Basic Members below for more details.
Butter Business (Paid)
Butter Business is our paid workspace tier that lets your team collaborate on planning, running, and recapping sessions without limitations.
In a Butter Business workspace, you can enjoy all the benefits of a Basic workspace, plus:
- Add unlimited teammates: Invite up to 50 Basic members and unlimited Pro members to your workspace.
- Manage workspace roles: Each member can be assigned one of four workspace roles (Owner, Admin, Pro, Basic), each with their own levels of permissions.
- Collaborate on unlimited rooms: Pro members can create and collaborate on an unlimited number of rooms and start sessions from each other’s rooms.
- Run and record unlimited sessions: Pro members can run sessions of unlimited length and record sessions.
- Delete library items: Admins and Owners can delete others’ library items.
- Branded sessions: Add your organization’s logo to your Butter sessions.
To upgrade to Butter Business, log in to Butter and then go to Settings > Workspace > Plan & billing.
How pricing is calculated
Butter Business pricing is determined by how many Pro members plus how many member add-ons you have in your workspace. Basic members are free.
You can pay monthly or annually (with a 20% discount). Here’s a quick recap of our monthly and annual pricing (pricing is per member):
$300 (save $60 per year)
Large Sessions add-on
+$500 (save $100 per year)
Let’s run through a quick pricing example for a Butter Business plan.
Let’s say your workspace has 40 Basic members and 5 Pro members—2 of which have the Large Sessions add-on. Your monthly pricing would be as follows:
- 40 Basic members: 40 members x $0 monthly = $0 monthly
- 5 Pro members: 5 members x $30 monthly = $150 monthly
- 2 Large Sessions add-ons: 2 members x $50 monthly = $100 monthly
- Total: $0 + $150 + $100 = $250 monthly
Basic vs. Pro members
Here’s a quick rundown on the biggest differences between Basic and Pro members.
Basic members in your workspace are free. You can have up to 50 Basic members in your workspace.
Basic members have access to:
- All engagement tools and features: Can access every tool and feature with respect to planning and running engaging sessions
- Limited rooms: Can create up to two rooms and can only start sessions from their own rooms
- Unlimited room collaboration: Can invite unlimited collaborators to their rooms or be invited to collaborate on an unlimited number of rooms
- Unlimited one-on-one sessions: Can run unlimited two-person sessions
- Limited group sessions: Can only run group sessions for up to 60 minutes
- No recording capabilities: Cannot record sessions
- Add library items: Can add and edit their own items to the workspace library
- Invite Basic members: Can invite other Basic members to your workspace
- No account add-ons: Cannot have add-ons added to their account
Pro members are billed at $30 per month or $300 per year. Pro members have all the benefits of Basic members, plus:
- Unlimited rooms: Can create an unlimited number of rooms and start sessions from any public room in their workspace or rooms for which they’re collaborators
- Unlimited session lengths: Can run group sessions without time caps
- Recording capabilities: Can record unlimited sessions to the cloud
- Invite workspace members: Can invite Basic and Pro members to your workspace
- Account add-ons: Can have account add-ons (e.g. Large Sessions with 200 participants)
For a full breakdown of the differences between Basic and Pro members, see
To learn how to upgrade members from Basic to Pro, check out
As we continue to build and improve Butter, we’ll be creating member add-ons that give you more capabilities with your Butter account.
Add-ons apply to individual team members in your workspace, so you can pick and choose the members who need each add-on. Add-on pricing is in addition to Pro member pricing.
Large Sessions add-on
The Large Sessions add-on lets you increase your participant limit from 100 to 200. As with every other add-on, the Large Sessions add-on applies on a per-member basis.
The 100-person participant limit increases from 100 to 200 participants as long as the member with the Large Sessions add-on is present in the session.
The Large Sessions add-on is available for $50 per month or $500 per year per Pro member.
To learn how to manage your member add-ons, check out
Workspace Billing and Payments
For complete details on accessing your billing history and managing your subscription and billing details, see .
Butter Plans & Pricing FAQ
How is a Butter Basic workspace different from Butter Business workspace?
With a Butter Basic workspace, you can invite up to 50 team members to join you, build up a shared library, start collaborating in rooms, and more. All members will be added as Basic members (limited to 2 rooms and group sessions of up to 60 mins). To manage user roles, upgrade team members, and extend your account with add-ons, you will need a Business workspace.
With a Butter Business workspace, you can invite up to 50 Basic members and unlimited Pro members. You can also manage workspace roles (i.e. workspace admins), manage content (i.e. team library items and recaps), gain access to add-ons, and brand your sessions with your team’s logo.
See the Pricing Table above for full details.
What are the differences between the workspace member roles?
We have a number of different roles in a Butter workspace, each with their own sets of permissions. The biggest difference is how each role can run your sessions and how much you can collaborate within the team:
- Owner: By default, the workspace creator is the owner. If the owner deletes their profile, ownership is transferred to another admin. The owner is the only role that can delete a workspace.
- Admin: They can manage everything in the workspace. They can edit workspace settings, manage billing information, upgrade and manage members, and manage the library.
- Pro Member: Full access to all of Butter’s features. They can create unlimited rooms, run unlimited sessions, start sessions from rooms they’ve created or have been invited to as a collaborator, and record sessions. They can’t manage general or billing settings, but they can invite other members to the workspace.
- Basic Member: Free members in your workspace, with limited access to Butter’s features (i.e. can create up to 2 rooms, limited to group sessions of up to 60 mins) and can only start sessions in their own rooms. They can invite other Basic members to your workspace.
What happens when a Basic member hits their limits?
When a Basic member encounters the limits of their account, they will be notified. We’ve kept these limits simple:
- Up to 2 rooms. When they need more rooms, they’ll be asked to upgrade.
- Up to 60-minute group sessions. The member will receive a notification 10 minutes before the time limit.
- Starting sessions in their own rooms. To start sessions in other members’ rooms, they will need to upgrade to Pro.
- Up to 100 participants. To host sessions with up to 200 people, they will need to have the Large Session add-on (which requires a Pro membership).
If your workspace is already on the Business plan, any admin can upgrade any member you need to Pro. If you are on the Basic plan, you will need to upgrade to Business first.
How do I upgrade my workspace to Butter Business?
To upgrade to Butter Business, log in to Butter and then go to Settings > Workspace > Plan & billing. Under ‘Basic Plan’, select ‘Manage subscription’ to upgrade your workspace.
How do I manage the members and add-ons on my Butter Business plan?
To learn how to manage your members and add-ons, check out
How can I see how many Pro members are in my workspace?
To see how many Pro members are in your workspace, log in to Butter and then go to Settings > Workspace > Plan & billing. Scroll down to see your Admins, Pro members, and Basic members.
Do session participant limits include facilitators?
Yes! Co-facilitators are included in the participant limits. On Basic and Business, you can have up to 100 participants in a session. With the Large Sessions add-on, you can have up to 200 participants in a session.
What happens if I pass the 100-participant limit during a live session?
If you hit the 100-participant limit during a session, you will be prompted to get the Large Sessions add-on. If you don’t wish to add the add-on, you will not be able to admit any additional participants to your room.
Do you give discounts to education or non-profit organizations?
Yes! We offer 30% off to schools, universities, and non-profits. Apply for our Education Program here to request a discount.
I’m interested in getting my whole team on Butter! Do you give bulk discounts for large teams?
We offer discounts if you’re purchasing Pro accounts for 10+ people. Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you on a customized pricing plan!
Do you offer a free trial of Butter Business?
No, sorry! We don’t offer a free trial for Business Business or Pro, because you can already experience every Butter feature (other than recording) from a Butter Basic workspace.
Creating unlimited rooms and making unlimited recordings comes with a cost on our end, so we have to charge for these capabilities to keep the (virtual) lights on. 😅
How do I cancel my Butter Business plan?
To cancel your plan, log in to Butter and then go to Settings > Workspace > Plan & billing. Under ‘Butter Business’, select ‘Manage subscription’ to cancel your plan.