This doc outlines the requirements for running Butter smoothly in the browser and on the desktop client for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- System requirements
- Supported operating systems
- Supported tablet and mobile devices
- Supported browsers
- Processor and RAM requirements
- Bandwidth requirements
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in, USB plug-in, or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in, USB plug-in, or:
- An HD cam or HD camcorder with a video-capture card
- Virtual camera software for use with broadcasting software like OBS or IP cameras
Supported operating systems
- macOS X with macOS 10.9 or later
- Windows 10 *Note: Devices running Windows 10 must run Windows 10 Home, Pro, or Enterprise. S Mode is not supported.
- Windows 8 or 8.1
- Windows 7
Supported tablet and mobile devices
- No tablet or mobile devices are supported currently
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11+, Edge 12+, Chrome 30+
- macOS: Safari 7+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Chrome 30+
Note: Some features in the web client are not supported on Internet Explorer.
Processor and RAM requirements
Single-core 1Ghz or higher
Dual-core 2Ghz or higher (Intel i3/i5/i7 or AMD equivalent)
- Dual and single-core laptops have a reduced frame rate when screen sharing (around 5 frames per second). For optimum screen-sharing performance on laptops, we recommend a quad-core processor or higher.
- Linux requires a processor or graphics card that can support OpenGL 2.0 or higher.
The bandwidth used by Butter will be optimized for the best experience based on the participant‘s’ network. It will automatically adjust for 3G, WiFi, or wired environments.
- For 1:1 video calling:
- For 720p HD video: 1.2Mbps (up/down)
- For group video calling:
- For high-quality video: 1.0Mbps/2Mbps (up/down)
- For screen sharing only (no video thumbnail): 1.2Mbps
- For audio only: 60-80kbps