This doc outlines the requirements for running Butter smoothly in your browser, on the desktop app for Windows, macOS, and Linux, and on the mobile app for Android and iOS.
- Butter for Desktop
- System requirements
- Supported operating systems
- Supported browsers
- Processor and RAM requirements
- Bandwidth requirements
- Butter for Mobile
- Supported mobile devices
Butter for Desktop
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in, USB plug-in, or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in, USB plug-in, or:
- An HD cam or HD camcorder with a video-capture card
- Virtual camera software for use with broadcasting software like OBS or IP cameras
Supported operating systems
- macOS X with macOS 10.9 or later
- Windows 10 *Note: Devices running Windows 10 must run Windows 10 Home, Pro, or Enterprise. S Mode is not supported.
- Windows 8 or 8.1
- Windows 7
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11+, Edge 12+, Chrome 30+
- macOS: Safari 7+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Chrome 30+
Note: Some features in the web client are not supported on Internet Explorer.
Processor and RAM requirements
Single-core 1 GHz or higher
Dual-core 2 GHz or higher (Intel i3/i5/i7 or AMD equivalent)
- Dual and single-core laptops have a reduced frame rate when screen sharing (around 5 frames per second). For optimum screen-sharing performance on laptops, we recommend a quad-core processor or higher.
- Linux requires a processor or graphics card that can support OpenGL 2.0 or higher.
The bandwidth used by Butter will be optimized for the best experience based on the participant’s network. It will automatically adjust for 3G, WiFi, or wired environments.
Here’s a quick overview of the recommended bandwidth for each feature:
1:1 video calling (720p HD video)
1.2 Mbps (up/down)
Group video calling (High-quality video)
1.0 Mbps/2 Mbps (up/down)
Screen sharing only (No video thumbnail)
Butter for Mobile
Supported mobile devices
- Android 5.0 and up
- iPhone, iOS 11.0 or later (iPad not supported)