- 🎥 Video tour: Recording your sessions
- How to record a session
- Record sessions automatically
- Create multiple recordings per session
- What’s included in a recording?
- What’s not included in a recording?
- Access your recordings
- Watch your recordings
- Download your recordings
- Share your recordings
- Recording FAQs
- Are there any recording length limits?
- What is the recording quality?
- Who can record a session?
- If I record multiple times in one session, will all my recordings be saved?
- When do my recordings become available?
- Can recordings be deleted?
- Who can access my recordings?
- Who can change recording sharing permissions?
- Can participants download recordings?
- Can I see who has watched the recording?
- Are breakouts recorded?
- Are Miro boards recorded?
- Is MURAL recorded?
🎥 Video tour: Recording your sessions
Here’s how to record your sessions!
How to record a session
To start recording your session, press the ‘Record’ button at the bottom of the left-hand panel.
It takes about 5 seconds for the recording to start.
Only facilitators have access to this option.
Once you start recording, your participants will see this notification.
To stop the recording, just hit the ‘Record’ button again.
Record sessions automatically
If you want to record every session automatically in a room, select the ‘Record sessions automatically’ toggle from the Room Overview before your session.
You can also select to ‘Record only when Agenda starts’.
Create multiple recordings per session
You might want to record multiple bits and pieces of your session—but not the whole thing.
You can start and stop recording at any time with the ‘Record’ button and each recording will be saved separately.
After your session, each individual clip will be available for re-watch or download.
What’s included in a recording?
Recordings show a pared-down version of the main participant view. This includes:
- The participant video gallery - including Spotlight Mode
- All audio - including sound effects, music playlists, and YouTube videos
- All tools (except MURAL - see below)
What’s not included in a recording?
The following are not included in your recordings:
- Navigation items - such as menus, side panels, or buttons (we prefer to keep things clean!)
- Chats - chat logs can be accessed from the Recaps dashboard
- Breakouts - a “Breakouts in session” screen will be shown instead
- MURALs - At present, MURAL does not make it possible to record murals through their API. See for possible workarounds.MURAL in Butter
Access your recordings
To watch your session recordings, head to the Recaps tab from the main Butter dashboard and expand the relevant session.
The session’s recording(s) are available from the ‘Recordings’ button.
Your recordings will also be emailed to you after your session. It may be a few minutes after your session before your recordings become available.
Watch your recordings
To watch your recordings, just hit ‘Watch’ to load the video player. You can watch your recordings at 0.5x, 1x, 1.5x, or 2x speed.
You can also see the total views of your recordings, including who watched the recording (if they are logged in to their Butter account).
Download your recordings
There are three ways to download your recordings.
A) To download all your recordings from a single session, select ‘Download all recordings’ from the main Recap view in the relevant session.
B) To download a single recording, from the Recap view, select ‘Recordings’, and ‘Download’ the specific recording you’re looking for.
C) You can also download your recordings from the ‘Watch’ video player with the ‘Download’ button.
Share your recordings
Logged-in participants who participated in your session will automatically have access to the session recording(s) from their Recaps tab.
To share a recording with anyone else, access it from the Recaps tab, select ‘Recordings’, and then ‘Watch’.
From there, select ‘Share’ in the top-right corner and switch on ‘Share on the web’. Then, click ‘Copy’ to copy the recording link to your clipboard.
Are there any recording length limits?
No, you can record as many sessions as you’d like, for as long as you’d like.
What is the recording quality?
All sessions are recorded in crystal-clear 1080p.
Who can record a session?
Only facilitators, collaborators, and co-facilitators can record sessions. Participants can’t see the ‘Record’ button.
If I record multiple times in one session, will all my recordings be saved?
Yes, you can record multiple times per session and they’ll all be accessible as individual recordings. You won’t lose your first recording(s).
When do my recordings become available?
Recordings become available a few minutes after a session is ended for everyone. It will take a few minutes for recordings to process.
Can recordings be deleted?
No. Once you record, there’s no going back!!! If you need a recording deleted, message us through our Help Center.
Who can access my recordings?
Recordings can be accessed in the Recaps dashboard after a session by:
- room collaborators; and
- participants logged into their Butter account for your session, but only if you share the recording on the web.
Invitees who did not attend the session will not have access to the recordings in their Recaps.
To share your recordings with others, turn on ‘Share on the web’ from the ‘Watch recording’ screen.
Who can change recording sharing permissions?
Room owners and collaborators can turn sharing permissions on and off.
Can participants download recordings?
No, only room owners and collaborators can download recordings. If your participants need to download your session recordings, we recommend downloading and re-uploading them to a file-sharing service like Google Drive or Dropbox.
Can I see who has watched the recording?
Yes, but only if they are logged into their Butter account.
Are breakouts recorded?
No, breakouts are not recorded. However, the recording will continue before and after your breakouts. Recordings will show this “Breakouts in session...” screen in place of the breakouts:
Are Miro boards recorded?
Yes, but Miro board recordings will NOT automatically follow the presenter view. To record your Miro sessions for later re-watch, use the ‘Bring everyone to me’ function in Miro to focus the attention of the recording. This feature is not available with free Miro accounts.
Is MURAL recorded?
No, MURAL doesn’t currently support this functionality, so your murals will not be captured in your recap recordings. While we’re working together with MURAL on a solution to this, their temporary suggestion is to accomplish this by either:
- recording your entire screen and audio with a third-party app; or
- recording your MURAL collaboration separately in another tab or window with a third-party recording app.