- 🎥 Video explainer: Flashcard decks
- Creating a flashcard deck
- Flashcard types
- Basic cards
- Interactive cards
- Adding images, videos, and GIFs
- Using flashcard decks in-session
- Using flashcard decks in breakouts
- Breakouts setup
- During breakouts
🎥 Video explainer: Flashcard decks
Here’s Chris showcasing how to set up flashcard decks, add them to breakouts, and use them in-session!
Creating a flashcard deck
As with any tool in Butter, you can either create flashcard decks:
- in your room’s toolbox before a session; or
- live during a session from the ‘Toolbox’ menu.
Select ‘Add Tool’ and then ‘Flashcard Deck’.
Give your deck a name and then select ‘Add new card’ to add your first card.
You can add as many cards as you’d like to a deck—there’s no limit! Go nuts.
Then just hit ‘Save’ and you’re ready to go. 🙌
If you like variety, you’re in luck! There are nine different card formats to choose from, including both basic and interactive cards.
Basic cards are just your standard flashcards with text, image, and/or video. They’re great for prompting discussion.
There are six basic cards to choose from:
- Text only
- Text and image
- Image and text
- Image/video and text
- Video only
- Image/gif only
Here’s an example of a text and image card in use during a live session:
With interactive cards, participants can stamp their avatar anywhere on the flashcard. There are three types of interactive cards:
- Either or images: Use them for quick icebreaker votes (E.g. Are you a dog or a cat person?)
- Either or text: Great for “would you rather” questions!
- Image/video and text: Ask people to stamp themselves on a picture, video, map, chart, or scale.
Adding images, videos, and GIFs
To add images and GIFs to your cards, you can:
- choose a free image from the Unsplash image library
- choose a free GIF from the Giphy library; or
- upload your own image.
For videos, you can upload your own video.
Using flashcard decks in-session
Once you’ve created a flashcard deck in your room toolbox, you can access the deck during your live sessions.
To access the deck in session, open up your ‘Toolbox’ menu and select the deck you created in your room setup.
Using flashcard decks in breakouts
Flashcards are a great way to encourage discussion and debate in breakouts!
You can assign flashcard decks to your breakouts in advance from your toolbox.
- After you’ve created your flashcard deck, go to the breakout you want to assign the cards to.
- From the left menu, choose ‘Tools’ > ‘Flashcard Deck’
- For Groups, flashcard decks will be assigned to all groups. For Rooms, you can choose which rooms to assign the deck to.
- Then, select the specific flashcard deck that you want to add.
- Just hit ‘Save’ and you’re ready to go!
Once your breakouts start, each room or group will have access to the flashcard deck you created!
In breakouts, any participant can control the deck. So each breakout can run through the deck on their own.
In the main room, only facilitators can control the deck.